[Wikipedia-l] Semapedia

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Tue Nov 8 08:33:23 UTC 2005

I just found this site:

http://www.semapedia.org

It is supposed to tag "physical objects" with the barcode of a wikipedia
URL. Basically, you enter the URL of a wikipedia article, and it prints
a chessboard-like box with black and white squares. You then glue this
sheet of paper onto the object (after asking permission!), for example,
a famous building.

The site also offers a Java software for cell phones with a camera.
Anyone with that software can now take a picture of the sheet of paper
with the cell phone, and the software will convert it back into a URL,
which you can then open on the cell phone to see the article about that
building.

I, for one, welcome our new tagging overlords! I am currently printing
the URL of my user page to glue it to my forehead, so people can find
out who I am without having to talk to me ;-)

Magnus