[Wikipedia-l] Re: Status of Wikimedia

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 08:32:11 UTC 2005

Elisabeth Bauer wrote:

> If someone wondered lately why there's almost no elian anymore around in
> Wikimedia affairs, that's why.
>
> I went back to the real thing, the encyclopedia in my language - which
> is nor Bavarian, neither Münchnerisch although I am from this region and
> city but german, a language almost everybody in Germany speaks and is
> able to understand (except he's maybe turkish or serbian or arabic).
> There's still a lot of work to do even if some newspapers rate us
> already as better than brockhaus.
>
> Tell me when you've stopped discussing and voting on genial new projects
> and obscure dialects, when you've kicked the language fanatics from the
> mailing lists, when you've closed the unwatched spam traps, when you've
> settled on a checkuser and logo policy, when someone has had the guts to
> introduce single login instead of just talking about it and when you are
> serious about this human knowledge thing.
>
> good bye,
> elia

Hmmmmm.
Well, while I echo your sentiments up to a certain point, I also think
you are amongst those who put her feet in the sand and stay anchored in
the real very much. You are of unvaluable help for all these press
things, the documentation and presence at conferences and so on. So,
certainly, you going away is not helping and rather giving more power to
those who are more "dispersed" than you are.

This said, we need all types of people, the dreamers and irrealistic
ones as well, as they also have strikes of wisdom sometimes :-)

(pretty tired) Anthere

PS : a comment about the checkuser policy. Afaik, it is done. I asked
comments a week ago, and though Taw has not removed the fact he thought
it "terribly dangerous", I read no real opposition to it and several
supports.