[Wikipedia-l] Re: Homosexuals and other groups overrepresented here(was: sco/fiu-vro in danger)

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 17:19:54 UTC 2005

Autism can go to being extremely asocial (such as not speaking, reacting
violently to touch, refusing exchange with other individuals, having
repetitive behavior... these autists are unlikely to have a job or a
family) to having light troubles in interacting with others.

An autist is more likely not to have a love relationship with someone
else. But even if he does, he can be someone who will not be very warm
toward spouse, perhaps not appreciate physical touch a lot. I guess this
can be a the same time an issue both in terms of verbal and non verbal
communication.

I guess they are often qualified nerds because they deeply engaged
themselves in activities which do not require to much human contact, or,
at least activities where they can choose to be in contact or *not* in
contact with others (single game playing, stamp gathering,
gardening...). I think for most autists, the vibes sent by other humans
have a huge impact and are very overbearing. They sort of flood their
mental and prevent them from properly functionning. In front of this, an
extreme solution is to build barriers, refuse contact entirely, to the
point of not understanding the society. A less extreme relief solution
is to give time to activities which can relieve them from the
psychological pressure provided by other human beings. A sort of blank
out relief. A routine activity helps forget the environmental noise.

I do not think that means they cant have a boyfriend/girlfriend, but it
is likely they will get one not requiring too much interaction from
them. I'd say the spouse should probably understand the need of the
autist to have times of isolation and his requirement for a very regular
life. Anything getting largely out of the routine seems to be very hard
to handle for the autist.

ant