[Wikipedia-l] About language names

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:52:54 UTC 2005

Hoi,

When we indicate languages in interwiki links, we write the names of
those languages as it is written in that language. So we get English,
Nederlands, Deutsch, 日本語 etc. I think it is a nice feature.

Some languages however are not written as they are written in that
language, think italiano, français or sicilianu. Basically, this is
wrong. The only reason I can think of why you want this, is for
"esthetic" reasons. These however take not into account the
sensibilities that are often associated with language names.

Thanks,
GerardM