[Wikipedia-l] Commons' Picture of the day on other projects?

Petr Kadlec petr.kadlec at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:35:22 UTC 2005

The Commons' idea of the Picture of the day seems great to me, so that
an idea occurred to me (yes, it happens sometimes, really!). It would
be perfect if I would be able to include the picture on the title page
of the Czech Wikipedia. It would also attract people to the Commons
project (which is a little bit problem on cs:, users seem to be scared
a little bit by the english-speaking look of Commons etc.).

But there is an obvious problem: I don't think it is possible to do
that. The only syntax I came up with was something like
{{commons:Template:Potd|width=300|float=right|lang=cs}}, but I didn't
even expect _that_ to work (and it did not). I don't believe there
would be some other, working way, but for sure: don't you know about a
method of using Commons' POTD on another project?

Sure, we could copy all required pages from Commons and every day add
a copy of a new one manually, but it would be useless duplication of
work, I think.

As a programmer, I am able to imagine two approaches: either allow
cross-project template inclusion (which seems to be a terrible idea),
or allow some "image redirects" (i.e. on Commons, there would be a
page called e.g. Image:POTD.redirect that would contain something like
"#REDIRECT [[Image:{{Template:Potd/{{CURRENTYEAR}}-{{CURRENTMONTH}}-{{CURRENTDAY}}}}]]"),
which seems a little bit more reasonable, but it is only a vague idea.

Any comments?

Best regards,
[[ :cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec ]]