[Wikipedia-l] Recipe : pertinence criteria

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 13:02:05 UTC 2005

Aoineko
>I can't imagine a consensus about an exhaustive list of references, so
>your definition moves the debate to "what a reference is?". Personally,
>I think the "reference" concept is not relevant outside of science
>domain. In science, the pertinence criteria are concrete: accuracy of
>formula and reproducibility of experience. What are the pertinence
>criteria for culture?

You are correct.

It could be

* whether the dish is famous or not
* whether the recipe if tried is good or not good

First the fame of the dish could be measured by
* First step : comments from people on the wikipedia itself
* Second step : check on google over the name of the dish
* Third step : comments from all wikipedians (a dish famous in zimbabwe will possibly not be recognised famous on the english wikipedia)

>>> this suggest the creation of a core list of famous dishes built between all encyclopedias

Any famous dish should present at least one typical recipe

Second, whether the dish recipe is rather representative
* First step : comments  by people who have already been doing the recipe of that dish
* Second step : checking and comparing the recipe with available sources (should be rather easy for a big network of wikipedians, since the dish is famous)

The famous dish recipe should be refered as representative but not unique.
Citing a famous cookbook OR a famous cook doing this recipe is possible.

Third, reproducibility and quality
* First step : I suggest a team of testers be created... take pictures to improve the dishes...  (I join !)
* Second step : In 10 years, we have 20 WikiRestaurant opened in New York, Beijing, London etc... preparing dishes with Wikipedia recipes from all over the world