[Wikipedia-l] wikipadia

Stirling Newberry stirling.newberry at xigenics.net
Mon Jan 10 15:58:19 UTC 2005

On Jan 9, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Sean Barrett wrote:

> To ensure the security of our trolls as well as our serious
> correspondents, please observe the following safety precautions:
>
> Trolls are wild. Please stay on the visitor paths, observe posted
> signs and do not reach into or climb on exhibits.
>
> Please do not throw things at the trolls.
>
> Please do not feed the trolls.
>
> Making loud noises may startle the trolls.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation.

I was just about tempted last night to create a template Template:Troll

"Warning! This page has become infested by a family of
[[Troll(wikipedia) | Trolls]]. Readers are warned that certain
crank/fanatic/extremists/down right apeshit looney POVs are over
represented on this page, and using it as a reference for a term paper
will get you put on academic probation. Editors are warned that the
trolls are organized, armed, and extremely hostile."

More seriously, wiki is going to have to think about how to deal with
organized groups of trolls trying to steal a page for their propaganda
purposes. This is different than individual trolls. Current mechanisms
allow organized trolls to circumvent just about every protection, since
at any given time they will be the consensus on the page.

This is important because there are large well funded groups out there
that are already targeting wikipedia (whose existence and use has not
gone unnoticed in political circles). And when they arrive, it will be
a shock wave.