[Wikipedia-l] Request for Amis Wiktionary

Tân PekTiong pcchen at formosa.org
Fri Jan 7 07:17:54 UTC 2005

Dear wikipedians,

* About ISO 639 codes
There is NO ISO 639-1, 639-2 language code for Amis. There is ISO 639-3
language code for Amis, which is ami.
But ISO 639-3: (Alpha-3 code for comprehensive coverage of language) is
still in draft and is not finalized/official yet.
I personally think the current ISO 639-3 draft is stable enough that
wikipedia/wiktionary should use it when necessary.

* Default interface language
I understand that one can choose the interface language by setting user
preference. However, before one create
an account, login, and change the preference, a new user will see some
"DEFAULT" interface language. Now
if the new user does not know the default language, and the user is new
to the mediawiki software then it will be
difficult for the new user to find the way to choose some interface
language she/he can understand.
Ideally the default language should be Amis itself but I image it will
take some time before one can translate the
interface messages into Amis. Since most of the potential
user/contributer know Mandarin (I think). I would suggest
to use Mandarin as default interface language (for now).

* User from other wikipedia
I, pektiong, from min-nan wikipedia (an op there) will help other
people about using mediawiki.

* Wikipedia/Wiktionary
I personally think wiktionary will be more useful to the Amis people at
this stage. I don't think there are too many Amis dictionary around.

* Announcement
Thanks for the suggestion. I think it is a good idea to announce the
creation of Amis wiktionary once it is created.
I think we can at least create/extend article about Amis in en, zh,
min-nan wikipedias and links to the Amis wiktionary.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
best
pektiong