[Wikipedia-l] A Solution to Larry Sanger's Criticisms - Project Has Been Around For A While

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at free.fr
Thu Jan 6 18:34:59 UTC 2005

Well the thing is that wikipedia is an encyclopedia. Would'nt it be
best for experts to set up their own wikis full of boring informations
and crappy details ?

I am not that sure that encycopedia should be written by experts. It
must give state-of-the-art information but I know plenty of people able
to write very good articles about subject they are not experts in...
and that the work journalist do everyday.

Plus, second argument, who will choose experts and on what basis ? Just
as you said, a PhD means nothing when it comes to your knowledge level.
So, how will you choose experts ? Who ? etc.

For all these reasons, it's quite clear that wikipedia should not be a
"public fora" for experts. If they want one, it's much better to
install their own mediawiki on some server to build a knowledge base on
any subject they want to talk about.

Jean-Baptiste Soufron, Doctorant
CERSA - CNRS, Paris 2
http://soufron.free.fr