[Wikipedia-l] Re: Old Norse

Olve Utne utne at nvg.org
Wed Jan 5 05:33:21 UTC 2005

Hello Vegard, Mark, etc.,

An Old Norse project sounds fine with me -- either as a Wikipedia or as a
Wiktionary. I am reasonably competent in Old Norse and can provide a bit of
help along the way -- although I cannot promise to spend a lot of time on
it, since there are so many other things I need to tend to also (including,
first and foremost, the Nynorsk Wikipedia and the English one).

Arguments against an Old Norse Wikipedia might be its proximity to
Icelandic -- to which it is so similar that the difference between
normalised Old Norse and Icelandic orthography can be summed up in a
handful mostly one-to-one rules.
Thus, Old Norse -r after consonant corresponds to Icelandic -ur; the Old
Norse O with ogonek (a C-like shape under) corresponds to Icelandic ö; Old
Norse long ø corresponds to Icelandic æ; Old Norse -k in personal pronouns
corresponds to Icelandic -g; and the Old Norse grammatical ending -t
corresponds to Icelandic -ð. Otherwise, the morphology and syntax are
mostly the same (with some archaic forms in Old Norse being lost in
Icelandic), but Icelandic has undergone a relatively dramatic expansion of
its vocabulary in the recent century or so.

Regarding the name, I suggest that the language be called norrœnt (with oe
digraph) or norrønt with acute accent over the ø (not possible to type in
Eudora...). The name gamalnorska ("Old Norwegian") would not have been used
as a self-designation in the time of Old Norse as a mother tongue. Also,
the language was used both in Norway and Iceland, as well as as a mostly
spoken language in Sweden and Denmark before the languages of these
countries started to drift apart.

As for writing system, orthography etc., there is clearly a potential for
disagreements there. My take on the matter would be that using the latin
alphabet rather than the (Runic) Futhork makes the most sense, and that
some degree of normalisation of the spelling is needed. (Should one write
bók, bok, or boc, for instance?)

The wiki language code :non: sounds fine with me.

-Olve