[Wikipedia-l] The fall of thefreedictionary? and other Alexa topics

Pete/Pcb21 pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com
Sat Jan 1 14:56:46 UTC 2005

A few months ago, I wrote on my user page  about how
thefreedictionary.com was set to overtake wikipedia.org as the
most-visited (according to Alexa) of the sites providing
Wikipedia-created content.

(Go to
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=6m&size=medium&y=r&url=http://www.wikipedia.org#top

and then type thefreedictionary.com into the compare box to see how
close they came to overtaking us at the end of October, when I wrote my
note).

GOOD NEWS: Over the last two months, thefreedictionary.com has lost
massive amounts of ground to us.

I suspect a lot of this is to do with Google. Thefreedictionary.com
really worked the Google algorithm well for a long time, returning way
ahead of Wikipedia and mirrors time after time in searches. I suspect
that the algorithm has changed to Wikipedia's advantage - we are picking
up more readers than ever - this should make sure we continue to pick up
contributors, thus improving the resource even more quickly.

Pete/Pcb21

PS. Wikipedia.org is now listed in the top 100 English language websites
by Alexa - a newish entry at number 98. (Yes this is a bit of a swizz,
because only 61% of page views are on wikipedia.org are of English
pages, but hey it is cool anyway!)

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?ts_mode=lang&lang=en