[Wikipedia-l] Re: Stable versions policy

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Thu Dec 29 08:50:47 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- Pawe³ Dembowski <fallout at lexx.eu.org> wrote:
>

>>Why not having the current version as the default at wikipedia.org and
>>a link to the stable version *and* a separate website where only the
>>stable versions are displayed - maybe a revival of nupedia.org (no
>>joke intended, it would be like a homage, IMHO).
>>

>I suggested exactly that same thing a couple years ago when we were talking about the sifter idea
>that Larry Sanger wanted to start. Nothing ever came of those talks, however.

Well, I *did* code a halfway working extension that you can include in a
MediaWiki, which will then turn import-only. Doesn't work for images
yet, though.

So, you could start such a site yourself. But it would be far better to
do this on the Wikimedia sites. But then why not integrate this directly
into Wikipedia?

Magnus