[Wikipedia-l] Re: Stable versions policy

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 27 19:46:48 UTC 2005

Magnus Manske wrote:

>Amaurea wrote:
><snip Nupedia comparison>
>

>>By marking a version of an article as stable, and presenting that
>>version to normal visitors, we are breaking down the coupling between
>>the number of readers and the number of editors.
>>
>No. This *might* happen only if the stable version becomes the default
>for anons.

Yes, this is part of the hypothetical conditions quoted above.

>>The whole point of a
>>wiki, and the key behind Wikipedia's incredible growth, is that every
>>reader is an editor, and in light of that it isn't a good idea to
>>create seperate views of an article for readers and editors. Any
>>reader reading the stable version instead of the current version will
>>be one less potential editor to improve the current version.
>>

>I don't know if you've seen my test page, but just below the title,
>there's a line "This is the stable version. The current working version
>is [[here]]".

That doesn't really change much if the stable version is the default.
Who's going to bother checking out the current working version that
isn't already a routine Wikipedia contributor? It's hard enough getting
a lot of visitors to click on the "edit" link when they _do_ see a
problem in need of fixing, if they have to also click on a link in order
to see the problem in the first place then I don't see how the situation
is likely to improve.

>No. Throw a switch in your user settings, and the haunting will go away ;-)
>(Note that this is not implemented yet in my version; neither is showing
>the stable version by default.)

That's how we should start the experiment, IMO. Change as little as
possible with each new step.

>We already *have* created an encyclopedia. Now our focus has to shift
>towards /being/ an encyclopedia. Our ways have to change accordingly.

I still disagree with this. We've created an encyclopedia once I can go
out and buy a copy for my shelves (either on DVD or paper-bound,
whichever). Wikipedia as it exists today is still very much a work in
progress despite having a number of quite nice articles. And I think it
should always _be_ a work in progress. There are plenty of other sites
that display Wikipedia's content, but only one site that _creates_
Wikipedia's content. Don't do anything that hinders that function.