[Wikipedia-l] Re: Stable versions policy

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 15:33:12 UTC 2005

On 12/27/05, Amaurea <sigurdkn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently the concept of having stable versions of Wikipedia's pages
> has been gaining foothold rapidly. Most supporters of this idea
> portray this as a rather small change, which would help make Wikipedia
> more reliable and help it be taken more seriously in academic circles.
> It is understandable that this idea is tempting, since vandalism and
> decay of article has gotten a lot of focus recently, but I do not
> think that this is the easy, safe change many seem to think it is.

The rest of Amaurea's post is dead on.

But this is pretty exciting; the successful fork of wikipedia is only
a few years away...
wikinfo obviously isn't it, but their import utility is the right
start. need to build that functionality for any cc-licensed work; need
gfdl and cc to merge, etc.

wikipedia is still by and large a healthy community; there needs to be
more ossification, paranoia, hypocrisy and institutionalization before
the fork will become necessary.