[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] How's image undeletability going?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:12:09 UTC 2005

>     http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-December/035512.html
>
> In the rabid frenzy to cleanse the image database, mistakes are made.
> How are we going on some way to recover from them?

At this point, the best solution is for people to tag things or delete
things to save the darn images. This requires no modification to the
mediawiki software, nor does it carry with it the naming or storage
implications of a full undeletion system... plus, it is available
right *now*.

Your language shows the sort of disrespect common from those who are
unconcerned about the legal status of our project.  There is no rabid
frenzy to delete the image, rather, the deletions are going
unacceptably slowly.

There have been multiple responsible users, who ensured the images
they deleted or tagged were unrecoverable, who have been chased away
from the image cleanup process by user overwhelmed with anger,
distrust, and disrespect.

As such I have no hesitation in saying that the unrecoverability of
the few incorrectly deleted images is entirely the fault of the people
who attack people for cleaning up images. Good job.