[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia Class Action

Peter Gervai grin at grin.hu
Tue Dec 13 13:35:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:01:36 -0000
"Phil Boswell" <phil.boswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It'll be interesting to see if someone tries to force them to remove
> > the trademarked Wikipedia logo from that site.
>
> According to the footer on that page:
> "Wikipedia image, in its distorted format _ Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is
> used pursuant the fair use doctrine"
>
> IANAL but that sounds pretty demented to me :-)

IANAL but if it would have been drawn by an European person (or anyone
worked on it from out here) it would be possible to force them to
remove it since as far as I remember international law does provide the right
to the author to request the removal of his work not otherwise released
freely. (If it was not published under a free license; so it was acquired
illegally anyway, IMHO.)

P.