[Wikipedia-l] Christmas presents, or: MediaWiki, reloaded

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 12 02:14:36 UTC 2005

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Magnus Manske wrote:
>

>>The first one you know, the validation feature, in its current
>>incarnation. It has already been pre-field-tested by some people from
>>the German wikipedia.
>>

>This is still going to need rewriting before we can safely use it.

What's wrong with it, and how much work do you think needs to be done?

Article version rating/validation/moderation/whatever is my number one
anticipated feature, and I've been responding to various peoples'
criticisms of Wikipedia's "trustworthiness" with the suggestion that
we'll be implementing something along these lines Real Soon Now for what
feels like years. I'm hoping it might even help get us out of the
endless AfD argument by providing a means of quality control that will
appease both sides. Please tell me we're almost there for real this time.

The other stuff in this Christmas present all looks great too, way to go
Magnus! Automated task management like that should make it a lot easier
to ensure that quality is consistent across Wikipedia and that problem
articles aren't "lost" in the vastness.