[Wikipedia-l] Why MO.wikipedia. - Moldovan, are written in cyrillic ?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:56:19 UTC 2005

177.204 vs 2,578,322 (I would dispute that number based on literacy
rates, and the fact that some people are literate in Cyrillic but not
Latin in the countryside)... I don't see a reason why the
approximately 6,4 % of all "Moldovan" speakers should just be ignored.
Do you have one?

Yes, they're not the majority. That's why it's a biscriptal portal,
and cyrillic is placed _second_

Mark

On 06/12/05, Adrenalin <adrenalinup at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's admit what Moldavian people from Transnistria use the cyrillic
> script, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria#2004_census
>
> Transnistrian 2004 census:
>    * Total population (including Tighina): 555.500
>    * Moldovans: 31.9%
>
> That's 177.204 Moldovans ppl, what are forced to use the Cyrillic
> alphabet. (forced? see here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria#Political_status). But i'm
> still not sure what they all write in Cyrillic.
>
> Now let's see how many Moldovans use the latin script.
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldova#Ethnic_composition)
> According to the 2004 census Moldovans: 76.1% from 3,388,071 ppl.
> That's 2,578,322 of Moldovans what use latin script in write. And
> since Moldovian language are the only official language in Moldova,
> the other 23,9% also must know to speak and write the official
> language using official script.
>
> So we see:
> In Transnistria, people what are forced to write the Moldovian
> language in Cyrillic: 177.204
> In Moldova, people what write his language in latin: 2,578,322 (or even more).
>
> So why must 2,578,322 of ppl to see his language in cyrillic on
> Wikipedia just because of the Transnistrian 177.204 Moldovans what are
> forced by a internationally unrecognised state maintained by Russian
> forces(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria) to use cyrillic ?

"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin