[Wikipedia-l] NYT to forbid use of Wikipedia as a reference?

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Thu Dec 8 12:25:41 UTC 2005

I just mention this a kind of journalistic experiment.  Here in DC we
have a free weekly called "The City Paper." I think it's terrific.  They
have a standing feature called something like "Mistakes in the
Washington Post." Their readers and editors scour the paper for
boo-boos.  It's both funny and enlightening. The WP is a great paper,
and it takes pains to be right. But neither The Post nor any other paper
can be 100% correct. Most people don't realize this.  If the community
at Wikipedia looked carefully at the NYT for one day or a week, I'm sure
you'd come up with quite a list.  This list, in turn, would get picked
up by the press.  I'm certain of it.

All the Best,

Marshall Poe, Ph.D.
The Atlantic Monthly