[Wikipedia-l] road to stability, formatted. last kick-off posting.

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue Dec 6 14:18:31 UTC 2005

Magnus Manske wrote:
> * this can be gamed (mark it as a minor edit, or write "google" under
> sources, or give some non-existing or out-of print book, or a book in an
> obscure language, or set up your own fake page and then give it as
> source, or...)

What's wrong with using an out-of-print book as a source?
It might be the only source for this 18-people remote saami village in
the Kiruna municipality of Lapland?

> As Brion already stated correctly, the current Wikipedia is an eternal
> beta version. Validation (how's that coming, BTW?;-) will eventually
> give some hints to the "end user", but it probably would not have caught
> the JFK blunder either.

Parts look more like alpha than like beta to me.

> That directly leads to a (relatively) small, elite (!=cabal) group of
> peer reviewers. The cathedral filtering the bazaar, as I said before.
> This could be done externally (software's in the making), or within
> wikipedia. The latter would be nicer, however, it might lead to more
> conflict between those who can peer review and those who can not.

A problem with a bazaar is that the products sold might not conform to
the norms that current society holds.

Gerrit.

--
Temperature in Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden:
| Current temperature   05-12-06 15:09:50   -6.9 degrees Celsius ( 19.6F) |