[Wikipedia-l] Re: Anons cannot create pages on english wikipedia?

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 22:10:42 UTC 2005

Walter van Kalken wrote:
> What is this:
>
> "This site has restricted the ability to create new pages. If you wish
> to create a new page, you must first create an account or log in
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Userlogin>.
>
> If you'd rather not create an account or log in, consider listing a
> request for someone else to create the page here
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requested_articles>."
>
> Since when is this wikimedia policy to restrict this?
>

> Waerth/Walter

Just to clarify once and for all.

The policy has been decided by Jimbo. This is within his role as a moral
leader. This is within your role to criticize, accept, complain or do
whatever you feel is best as people and as community.

But this is not a Foundation decision, or rather, this has not been a
decision by the board. So, I would not call it a wikimedia policy.

Currently, it is limited to the english wikipedia.

I am not entirely sure there has been a system set into place to analyse
the impact of such a decision. It is probably to the english-community
to try to measure this the best they can and to appreciate the benefits
and drawbacks itself.

I suppose other communities will be given the opportunity to make their
own decisions according to cultural background and state of development.

Anthere