[Wikipedia-l] Why MO.wikipedia. - Moldovan, are written in cyrillic ?

Field Nothing fieldtheory2 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 14:31:59 UTC 2005

>You probably don't know the history of the language well. In fact both
>Romanian and Moldovans has been Orthodox Christians and used Cyrillic
>script for several ages.

Alexandru Niculescu: "Romanian is the only Romance language which has
developed in the Eastern part of Latin Europe"
Niculescu, Alexandru. Outline History of the Romanian Language. Bucharest:
1981

The first known text appeared in writing in 16th century  (1521) which was
written in a _variant_ of old cyrillic alphabet and it was used in Walachia
and Moldova until the Re-Latinization in 1850s. Note that in the rest of
Romania starting from the late 16th century, _LATIN_ alphabet was used with
Hungarian spelling conventions (and switched to Italian spelling in 18th).

So let me count it...Uhm...It seems just in Walachia and Moldova until 1850
what you said is true, as for the rest of Romania - false, it has used latin
script since the 16th century. So even for Moldova region of Romania it has
been over 150 years since a variant of cyrillic alphabet has been used.

>The modern Latin script is relatively a news in both lands.

Oy vey, 150 years is new for sure. So I guess that makes my mobile phone as
modern as one could possibly imagine.

>So one can's speak in such a self-confindent way about
>Moldovan Cyrillics as "decreed in the unfree days". By the way, do you
>know much about the unfree days? They were not totally that "unfree".
>:) Be more neutral. ;)

I know about those days, we've studied about them in school, I've talked to
older people about them as well as discussed the matter with some professors
from university, they were forced to know russian, the only books they had
access to were russian, go figure how free and open is that.

>Maybe it would be a good choice just to move the whole thing to
>__mo-cyr.wikipedia.org__, leaving at [[:mo:]] the two links -- to the
>Romanian and to the old-fashioned Cyrillic-written Moldovan.

No, people from Moldova should have control over mo.wikipedia.org, having a
link on the main page to cyrillic is not acceptable, it's not our language,
why should we put links to another language on the main page ? Let them have
their weirdlanguage.wikipedia.org , but we shouldn't have any obligations to
put a link to it.

>Esperu cxiam!

Saluton.