[Wikipedia-l] the road to stability -- Yes! we have a winner!

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Fri Dec 2 12:48:51 UTC 2005

SJ wrote:
>Cooling/heating :  generate a crude 'trussst' metric; (# of edits +
length of activity) x (simple
>factor), with (factor) inculding some aspect of community recognition.
As an article cools, slowly raise the  >level of trussst needed to edit
it (and vice-versa).  If a would-be editor tries to edit the page,
artfully
>redirect to the talk page or a temp subpage, saying "please add your
suggested changes or modifications <a>
>here</a>. If you would like to work on a temporary copy of this
[section|article], you can do so <a>here</a>".

This is a good idea. Simple, elegant, reasonably objective and mostly
automated (low maintenance!). It would be interesting to "pressure test"
on some sort of beta, just to see the how many ways people could thing
to game it (and as we know, people are really clever...).

Marshall Poe
The Atlantic Monthly
www.memorywiki.org