[Wikipedia-l] wikipedia in China

zhengzhu zhengzhu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:32:38 UTC 2004

While you are discussing this, note that such a dialogue may not be
easy to establish. The following is a message posted at zh.wp by
Mountain (http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E4%BA%92%E5%8A%A9%E5%AE%A2%E6%A0%88),
(roughly) translated into English as follow:

"The BBS that was recently closed in China is very similar to
wikipedia in that it was completely organized and supported by
volunteers. I have tried to get some information from some sysops of
that BBS; they indeed tried to talk with the government but they can
at best do so indirectly through the ISP or the school in which the
site is running. No one seems to know or is willing to tell which
organization is making the decision.   After the blocking in June,
Shizhao and I tried to ask our ISPs who to talk to, but to no avail.
We are currently talking to our ISPs again and see what we can do. -
Mountain 9-23-2004 "

--
zhengzhu