[Wikipedia-l] Partnership with Mandrakesoft

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Thu Sep 23 08:42:53 UTC 2004

Hi,

Le Thursday 23 September 2004 03:26, Brion Vibber a écrit :
> On Sep 22, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Bryan Derksen wrote:
> > My impression was that this isn't going to be a "reviewed" 1.0-style
> > Wikipedia, but rather a plain old snapshot that's had all the images
> > lacking the correct licencing tags automatically stripped out, and
> > possibly the articles with {{stub}} in them stripped out as well
> > (personally I think stubs should be left in, but IMO it's probably not
> > a major issue either way). The downside of this approach is that it's
> > bound to catch a few articles in a "bad" state, but the upside is that
> > it will actually be possible to do it in the timeframe needed.
>
> Certainly we could give them a stripped dump in that timeframe, but I
> think they'd be wasting a lot of money pressing it to disc in that
> state. I can't support this as described.

Is Wikipedia that bad? ;o)
No I don't think so. There are obviously many stubs, incomplete articles and
so on, but still I think that it is a valuable pice of work.
Or so I was told. ;o)

Anyway, that's Mandrakesoft decision, it is very beneficial to us, and we
should do as much as we can for this to be successful.

I think that we should remove very small stubs, like say articles with less
than 200 bytes. I think we should also remove anything taggued {{copyvio}} or
{{not NPOV}}. That can be done with a simple SQL query.
Yet this has to be decided.

> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Regards,
Yann