[Wikipedia-l] Capitalisation on the French Wiktionary

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Wed Sep 22 19:20:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

Le Wednesday 22 September 2004 19:52, Peter Gervai a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 06:49:36PM +0200, Yann Forget wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Capitalisation is now only an option in the French Wiktionary.
> >
> > So, f.e., now [[allemand]] and [[Allemand]] are two different articles.
> >
> > All language names are lower cases in French.
>
> Please enlighten me.
>
> I see why it is good to be able to call an article [[pH]], so that's okay.
>
> However, I fail to see the point why [[ph]] [[pH]] and [[Ph]] have to be
> different articles. Can someone show an example where different
> capitalisation result different words which require separate articles?

Because they are different words?
In any French paper dictionary, [[pH]] and [[Ph]] will have *two* entries, not
one. So why not in Wiktionary?
This rule has to be decided for each language.

In French, these words are even often separated in two books.
One for lower case words (noms communs) and one for upper case words (noms
propres, i.e. people, places, etc.).

> I'd say if someone links to [[ph]] it should find [[pH]], and editing
> [[ph]] would open [[pH]] for edit.

No, for me [[Ph]], [[pH]] and [[ph]] are three different words.
If I edit [[pH]], I don't expect to find [[Ph]].

But maybe a link in == See also == might help.

> thanks
> peter

Best regards,
Yann