[Wikipedia-l] Re: toki pona

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 05:36:13 UTC 2004

Just the other day, acting in good faith, I went through about 50
articles on the English Wikipedia changing [[Strand, England]] to
[[The Strand]], and moved the article there. It turns out I was
completely wrong, and it was right originally. Ought I be banned for
this too?

Seriously, we have enough malicious vandals on Wikipedia to focus on
without also banning decent editors. Regardless of how much node may
annoy people in the #Wikipedia IRC channel, as far as I know he is a
good contributor to the encyclopedia itself. If making a mistake like
this constitutes vandalism and is a bannable offence, then almost
every sysop on Wikipedia ought be banned. People break the Main Page,
stub messages and things like that all the time. Is this more serious
because it takes more effort to fix? Or have you all made up your
minds that node did this maliciously? Didn't this raise a valid
concern about the vagueness of the copyrights for these con-lang
wikis? I feel that, as Wikipedia grows, we need to be more and more
vigilent for copyright violations, and a hard-line policy is
imperative. The larger we grow, the larger the target we are for
holders of violated copyrights.

~Mark