[Wikipedia-l] Starting a new wiki

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Tue Sep 21 16:08:23 UTC 2004

Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another option would be to pay for private hosting and set up the
> MediaWiki software yourself, which I can tell you is not going to be
> very pleasant if you're not experienced in setting up server-side
> apps.

MediaWiki is definitely _not_ the only game in town as far as wiki engines are
concerned. PmWiki and PhpWiki are both very easy to install and run on PHP
servers without needing a database.

Really, setting up a wiki isn't much harder than setting up a static Web site.
And it's sure a lot more dignified than groveling at the feet of some admin
begging for a few minutes of his time. B-)

~ESP