[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l Digest, Vol 14, Issue 10

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Sat Sep 11 08:02:52 UTC 2004

Scríobh Mark Williamson:

> Yes, I tried it. So what?

So, it means that there seems to be a technical way of doing these things,
which most of the Chinese-speaking people on this list agree is either
adequate, or close to being adequate.  Lets just look at what has been said
thus far:

- Most Chinese people who understand "Traditional" can also read/write in
"Simplified".  This does not necessarily apply in reverse, however.
- There appears to be an automated technical way to translate from one
system to the other, albeit one that occasionally mucks things up.
- Most zh-language Wikipedians are in favour of a unified system.
- There doesn't seem to be anyone who wants to split the project except,
well, you.
- I believe official policy is that splitting Wikipedias for
nationalistic/patriotic reasons is that it doesn't happen.  See the
Brazilian/Portugese debate that pops up every now and then for what happens.

Based on these opinions that have been put out over the past few days, I
think it's obvious that the action that has been taken is the correct one.
I've no idea of the quality of your submissions, but if they're good, why
not port them over to the unified Wiki (under a seperate page, if necessary,
ie: [[Topic]] and [[Topic (Traditional)]].  As far as I can see, nothing has
been deleted yet, and numerous tools have been pointed out in the discussion
that would make it an automated process.

- Craig Franklin

Craig Franklin
PO Box 764
Ashgrove, Q, 4060