[Wikipedia-l] wikimage startup?

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Wed Mar 31 09:43:36 UTC 2004

"Erik Moeller" <erik_moeller at gmx.de> schrieb:
> Andre-
> > It has been discussed before, I think I want to go beyond discussion,
> > and get this thing rolling. I would like to start setting up a database
> > of public domain and copyleft images, using the Wikipedia technology.
>
> As noted earlier, this should be done under the name "Wikimedia Commons",
> and reside at commons.wikimedia.org, to allow for other content than just
> images, and to make it clear that that this is not just for Wikipedia, but
> for all Wikimedia projects.

I don't like the name 'commons', and although I do agree that we want to
be broader than just images, in practice it will be 99% images - textual
material that might be put here should I think go to wikiquote (or if it's
longer wikisource) instead, so I think what is left apart from images are
sound bites and video footing. On the other hand I fully agree with you
that it should be connected to Wikimedia rather than wikipedia.

Andre Engels