[Wikipedia-l] Re: Bylaws Part IV

Jake Nelson jnelson at soncom.com
Mon Jan 26 03:07:41 UTC 2004

(Catching up with my email...)

Anthere wrote:
> Sorry, but I still do not understand why it is there at all (I mean
> under the paragraph about resignation as a member of the association)
>
> What you say is that at any time, Jimbo (or the board) can just delete
> any one account. I agree with this naturally. But that is true of
> absolutely any user. Be it a trusted user, a new user, a bugging user, a
> banned user, or a vandal. And be him registered in the association or
> not registered.
>
> This is true for everyone, for any user.
>
> So, why is this only mentionned under the paragraph about those who are
> just resigning from the association ? Either this is mentionned for
> absolutely all users, or it is not mentionned at all.
>
> Say, if I register to the association next month.
>
> Then, for some personal reasons, I decide to unregister (for example, if
> I wish not that my name appear in the list any more), why should I have
> my account on wikipedia itself deleted ? Why more than right now as I am
> not a member at all ? What is the difference ?

It looks to me more like that section is there to state that it's the
board's decision whether the account of a resigned user stays or goes and
not the user's- which means that soemone cannot say "I quit, now you have to
remove my account"... and thus documentation of what they did. Removing an
account entirely is a messy thing, in terms of page histories and so forth.
Retaining the contributions lists is important.

Or at least, that's what I see.

-- Jake