[Wikipedia-l] foundation of a German registered association

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Fri Jan 23 21:38:18 UTC 2004

Ivo Köthnig wrote:

> Am Freitag, 23. Januar 2004 22:08 schrieb Jimmy Wales:
>
>>Magnus Manske wrote:
>>
>>>I think Jimbo would be OK if we don't try to *represent* wikimedia
>>>foundation, but rather *support* it. "Friends of wikipedia e.V." should
>>>be no problem, right?
>>
>>Yes, certainly, but I also have no problem with an organization to
>>*represent* Wikimedia Foundation, but just so long as there is clarity
>>and caution as to the risks of future conflicts.
>

> The actual plan is to call it
>
>    "Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens",
>
> that nearly means
>
>    "Wikimedia Germany - society for promotion of free knowledge".
>
> "Friends of wikipedia e.V." and several other variants was discussed but for
> some reasons not wished by the majority.

Maybe the "fraction" calling for action now could found a wikimedia
support group, not legally representing wikimedia. When we, after
careful planning and coordination with Jimbo, get a German "subdivision"
of the wikimedia foundation, we can either keep the support group, or
merge it with the "official" group.

That would serve everyone, but create some organisatorical overhead.

Magnus