[Wikipedia-l] Re: foundation of a German registered association

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Fri Jan 23 13:02:04 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> There is no reason to think that the current group of people involved
> in Wikipedia would do any of that, but we must plan for the longterm,
> for what might happen 50 or 100 years from now, after we are all gone.
> Institutional decisions made today have ramifications many many years
> into the future, especially if we are not cautious.

You are absolutely right. But I find it quite funny that in all your
future scenarios the American foundation are always the good guys, while
you fear the international ones might only want to make money out of the
project. I can imagine other scenarios, for example a take-over of the
American foundation with the help of many faked accounts is much more
easy than in the German "e.V." where only "real" people are allowed to vote.

I can understand your concerns, but please try to imagine that many
people on the international Wikipedias have exactly the same kind of
concerns about the American foundation.

We need a system of Checks and Balances: The foundation should be able
to control the national organisations, and in return they should be able
to control the foundation. Elian proposed that a contract should be
formulated with obligations for both sides, but I think this is a long
process and the signing of course can only take place after the
association is founded.

I'll now take a look at isoc.de, thanks for the hint, Lars.

(BTW, I missed the public discussion of the foundation's bylaws. Where
did it take place?)

Kurt