[Wikipedia-l] Why 'Wikimedia Germany', 'Wikimedia France', 'Wikimedia ????'

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Fri Jan 23 11:10:06 UTC 2004

Hi,

> A "Wikimedia" in Europa can be useful I think but is it really necessary
>  to setup different organizations for all the countrys?
>
> There is the European Union. What is the problem to create one Wikimedia
>  organization for all the members of the European Union?
>
> [[nl:gebruiker:Walter]]

It would technically be possible to create a Wikimedia in Europe. However
in all practical matters, language is the problem. by example, for me,
dealing with legal and administrative matters in French is already not so
easy, I can't imagine to have to do that in another language.

And most real work is done at the national level, not at the European
level. However, I would be delighted to have a European meeting of
Wikimedia project contributors. We are thinking to have one in Paris.

But we are translating the French project in English in order than most
people can understand.

Yann

--
http://non-violence.org Site coopératif sur la non-violence