[Wikipedia-l] New edit modus

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sun Jan 18 23:39:03 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>This response isn't very useful for those of us
>>that have only read about this on this mailing list.
>>Tillwe's fears, if grounded, would make it a bad thing
>>the moment that the feature is activated at all.
>>Now, his fears may well be groundless, as you imply,
>>but the people on the mailing list don't know that.
>>(The word "whining" is especially unproductive.)

>Tillwe is spreading FUD. I consider FUD unproductive. If he wanted to
>understand the issues, he should have talked to me first.

OK, so he's spreading FUD.  But how could I possibly know that?

Your response didn't do me any good here,
and I doubt that I'm the only person on this mailing list
that hasn't looked at the English village pump recently.

I know that you don't want to repeat your answers to Tillwe's FUD
all over again just because he posted it to another forum.
So here are some replies that you might make instead:

# Since this is planned only for [[en:]], I will respond on <wikiEN-L>.
# Since this is planned only for [[en:]] and that wiki is now responsive,
  please see my earlier replies on [[en:Village pump]].
# This is only a vauge idea now, and I will propose it on <wikitech-L>
  when it becomes serious.  If you want to join the current discussion
  on [[en:Village pump]], then there's plenty of time to wait
  for that wiki to become responsive again.
# This has been discussed already on <wikitech-L> under Subject:XXX.
  The stuff on the English village pump is not the main discussion
  and the points raised there should not be trusted fully.
# This has been discussed already at [[meta:XXX]].
  The stuff on the English village pump is not the main discussion
  and the points raised there should not be trusted fully.
# I have given adequate response already on [[en:Village pump]].
  Since this is an option for all wikis, I'm sorry that the proposal
  was discussed for so long only there, even close to its implementation.
  Since that wiki is unresponsive, I'll hold off on any implementation
  until you all can read my replies there, which I will move when I can
  to a central location at [[meta:XXX]].  Then you will see that it's OK.

Only some of these would be appropriate, depending on the situation;
but all of them, if appropriate, would dispell Tillwe's FUD.

However, if you want to call Tillwe a whiner, then please do it privately.

-- Toby