[Wikipedia-l] wikipedia is too much open

Thomas R. Koll tomk32 at gmx.de
Wed Jan 14 08:33:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:43:36AM -0300, Pablo De Nápoli wrote:
> After that, looking at the history of the page, I find that some
> rather old previous versions where much better, but they had been
> deleted since a user consider them "too advanced". Needless to say,
> Lebesgue integration is indeed an advanced topic in mathematics, so
> that any article on this subject is necesarilly advanced (or does
> not covered the topic).

Such a topic is an extreme example, but you always should try to write
an article clear and easy enough that one who has just started to work
into this topic will find great help in you article.

> It seems to me that the model of wikipedia is too much open, so that
> open that anyone can annonymously edit any page.

In my eyes wikipedia is NOT open enough, but the problem is mankind
has too much bad behaviours and we can't trust our own kind.

> Another idea that comes to my mind is that there could be some teams
> for especific topics, that manage the pages in some section (say
> mathematics, geogrpahy, economics or whatever). This does not mean
> that any user from outside the team could not submit
> modifications. But without a team of core developers or a project
> leader for each section how can you assure a minimum of quality of
> wikipedia?

There are WikiProjects, although they mostly have no leader, they
bring some order into the chaos.

>  (this is more or less the model in all free software
> projects, no project grants write access to cvs to everyone
> anonymously, say)

That's a different thing. It requires special abilites to write
software, abilities which only few people have.

ciao, tom
--
http://www.tomk32.de - just a geek trying to change the world
   -.- http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:TomK32 /|>