[Wikipedia-l] ads vs. sponsored bandwidth/hardware?

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Fri Jan 2 02:55:25 UTC 2004

Just an idea to see what people's views on it would be: I know many
people are opposed to ads on Wikipedia, but would those of you opposed
to ads in general be more receptive to sponsored bandwidth and/or
hardware?  For example, a box somewhere that says "bandwidth kindly
donated by [donating company]".  Yeah, it's an ad of sorts, but it's a
little more neutral and matter-of-fact than most ads: it's simply
informing people that the bandwidth of the site they're viewing is being
provided free of charge by someone.  More like the "powered by Apache"
logos at the bottom of some sites than like a typical ad, I think.

-Mark