[Wikipedia-l] Webs of trust are a better idea (was: trust metrics)

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Feb 16 22:32:48 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> That would prevent any incentive to create sock puppets since my
> selections only affect what *I* see and what the people who trust my
> judgment see (if they set their preferences accordingly).

I think that's really fascinating.  The incentive only arises if the
web of trust is "summed up" across different people to arrive at an
overall "score".

As long as we don't do that, there's no incentive for sock puppetry.

So, hmm, why did I want to do it that way in the first place?  Well, a
"summed up" score could be really handy for certain types of decision
making.  It could provide people with feedback on their overall
behavior.

But the real point is just to find a way for us to scale better as the
number of editors grows, to ensure that newcomers are assisted, that
vandalism is properly watched for, etc.

I like your idea a lot.

--Jimbo