[Wikipedia-l] Re: <span>

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Apr 27 19:23:04 UTC 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 07:56, David Friedland wrote:
> I wish you the best of luck in your campaign. I've asked for <span>
> tags  TWICE before and got shot down twice with the explanation that
> were somehow better)

though, and asking for something to be *added* and asking for something
to be *removed* are different types of requests.

The idea that a <span> with an inline style is "better" than <font>
however is ludicrous; they are of precisely identical complexity (they
must specify the same information, though using a different syntax) and
equally lack semantic value. <span>'s only theoretical value is in
creating semantically meaningful pseudo-tags via class specifications,
something which is only useful if you also control the global style
sheet.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)