[Wikipedia-l] Re: Perl

Peter Gervai grin at tolna.net
Fri Apr 16 09:41:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:15:14AM +1000, Tim Starling wrote:
> fabiform wrote:
> >(Perl admitted he made a mistake and said it wouldn't happen again)
>
> The issue is not whether or not he apologises every time he makes a
> mistake. We know that he does apologise regularly. The issue is whether
> he will do it again, or something similar. Perl's judgement is not
> sufficient, he has to be watched all the time.

If someone does not feel the responsibility of the power given then he
should not have the power itself.

I am a sysop. I never have banned anyone without asking at least 3 times
before, and since there wasn't any case that I needed 3 warnings, I never
have banned anyone so far.

I expect any people with power (sysops, devels, whoever) to act responsibly,
*think three times* before acting. The WikiWiki concept is to let people to do
what they wish as long as it is completely sure that their intentions are
bad, and going to stay that way. I expect sysops honouring that, and I
expect that sysops who doesn't losing their power.

Irresponsible but helpful people doesn't need sysop power to submit articles
and changes. Neutral people doesn't need it either, there is life without
power. Sysopship should be *restricted to* careful, responsible people.
Preferably proven careful, responsible people. It is a tough goal but should be
tried anyway...

I don't know perl and I am not involved. Reading all the mails here he
should be desysopped, and stay that way, because he is helpful but neither
careful nor responsible. This is valid for anyone using his/her/its power
irresponsibly or without maximal possible care.

My 0.013 euros.

Peter
[[user:grin]]

ps: He created power, thus He created war.