[Wikipedia-l] Re: Extension syntax vote begins

Arvind Narayanan arvindn at meenakshi.cs.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Apr 15 05:24:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:23:06PM -0700, Brion Vibber wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2004, at 19:02, Erik Moeller wrote:
> > Brion-
> >> I'd really appreciate it if these straw polls were *labeled* as such,
> >> instead of being given the appearance of official binding referenda.
> >
> > That would be misleading. This vote is as binding as any such technical
> > vote is going to get. If the developers see profound reasons not to
> > implement the vote result, they may of course decide not to do so;
> > however, these should be good reasons, there should be developer
> > consensus
> > about them, and they should be explained to the voters.
>
> Please reconcile the above with "The point of these polls is to get a
> reasonably representative *sample* of Wikimedia opinions."

Brion, this looks like hair splitting to me. Since it isn't possible
to have a poll in which every single wikipedian casts their vote, what
Eric meant was that the poll should be comprehensive enough as to leave
no reasonable doubt that as to which option would be the winner if
everyone who had an opinion did express it. In this respect the poll
was entirely satisfactory. What's the problem?

Arvind
--
Its all GNU to me