[Wikipedia-l] Parasitic behaviour. We loose more than money by it.

Arvind Narayanan arvindn at meenakshi.cs.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Apr 12 06:10:06 UTC 2004

I have a suggestion:

While our main page has a high pagerank, individual articles probably
don't (depending on how well they're linked to). So, it would help to
link to Special:Allpages from the main page (the static cached version
is fine). That way, it would take at most 3 links from the main page
to any article. Further, the second level pages should also be made
static and updated once in a while, because crawlers don't request
dynamic pages (I think).

Arvind

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 03:49:37AM +0200, Erik Zachte wrote:
> I know this is not new, but I'm rather pissed off to see Google returns
> several commercial sites featuring all Wikipedia articles on a request
> explicitly specifying "Wikipedia" as search term, and on top of the real
> thing.
>
> I figure more and more of these sites will pop up when people realize how
> easy it is to make money this way, and probably loads of it.
>
> E.g. "rembrandt wikipedia"
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=wikipedi
> a+rembrandt
> shows Wikipedia only behind two other sites, one of which uses "Rembrandt -
> Wikipedia" even in the <title>..</title> tags, which is shown prominently in
> the Google response.
>
> I know GDFL is very permissive, but is there nothing we can do about this?
> Even if we don't want the money, which is also an old discussion, we might
> at least attract more contributors if  parasitic sites (not all mirrors are
> in this category) were less succesful.
>
> Could we not strike a deal with Google similar to the one with Yahoo by
> which Google favours the original content instead of outdated copies, should
> be in their interest too.
>
> Erik Zachte

Its all GNU to me