[Wikipedia-l] Languages: crossing a border?

Caroline Ford caroline at secretlondon.me.uk
Mon Apr 5 22:08:31 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Ivo-
>

>>choises: eighter the languge is not importand and has not much articles (in
>>this case their can not be much interwiki-links to that language) or it is
>>important and has much articles.
>>

>Having many articles does not make a language important. With some basic
>Klingon skills I could get the article count up to 30,000 by translating
>the US census data. Furthermore, most conlang Wikipedias will effectively
>be abused as dictionaries for their respective languages, and if a very
>dedicated conlang inventor like Sonja works on the wiki, they can easily
>get to a few thousand definition "articles" in little time. Hell, my own
>infoAnarchy wiki has 3100 pages created by a handful of volunteers. That
>does not mean it is an encyclopedia, nor does it mean it ever has the
>potential to become one.
>
>I'll create a page on Meta for voting on new language Wikipedias (and I
>would like for a vote to be also applied to Toki Pona). That seems like
>the most reasonable solution to this problem.
>
>Regards,
>
>Erik

I disagree - it is not up to current users to decide whether a language
community wants its own wikipedia. This just gives the english wikipedia
an effective veto.

I have no problem at all with _any_ natural language having a wikipedia
if there is the desire for one. The complaints about costs must be
negligible compared to the cost of en, for example. What is the actual
costs for a small wikipedia - bandwidth and a tiny bit of disk space?

The issue that has been raised refers to conlangs - I think we need to
separate out the two. I agree that we would look silly having Klingon,
and that we will need to moderate conlangs - in the same way that some
articles about conlangs have been deleted if they exist only in the mind
of their creators.

Fundamentally I don't see this as a massive problem - if we get over-run
by conlangs then we need to reconsider, but at the moment all natural
languages that request a wikipedia should get one.

Caroline / Secretlondon