[Wikipedia-l] Languages: crossing a border?

Adam Bishop grenfell_ at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:31:51 UTC 2004

I'm sure there are more than 10 000 people who Latin too, but none of them
are using the Latin Wikipedia :) Fluency in Latin on la: ranges from maybe
one or two people who are Latin scholars, to people who don't know it at
all...added to this is the fact that we can't even communicate with each
other, because not everyone understands Latin to the same degree, and there
is no other common language for us because some people speak English, some
Dutch, some Greek, some Japanese, etc.

But I complain about this all the time, I should really stop it :)

Adam Bishop

>From: Peter Gervai <grin at tolna.net>
>To: wikipedia-l at Wikimedia.org
>Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Languages: crossing a border?
>Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:23:50 +0200
>
>On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 05:47:46PM +0200, Lars Aronsson wrote:
>
> > Does Latin meet that requirement?  The aboriginal Sami minority in
>
>I'm sure there are more than 10000 people who knows latin. At least
every
>doctor in Hungary ought to. :)
>
> > If this is the problem, why not solve this problem.  Split the
lists
> > in two or three different lists: Languages with more than 20K
articles
> > can be considered "useful" encyclopedias, languages with
1K-20K
> > articles can be listed as "developing" encyclopedias,
and languages