[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia PT/BR - Sysop

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 07:06:46 UTC 2004

"Paulo Ricardo Colacino" <colacino at terra.com.br>
wrote in message news:00b301c41a09$7b82bd10$7cd2fea9 at COLACINO...
>Dear Admins
>
>I had a SysOp status until 03.abr.2004 at http://pt.wikipedia.org  but
today my
>status was changed.
>
>Two administrators of Portugal had been discuss with me about differences
>between the language said in Brazil and Portugal.  They are creating rules
>without consulting the community and had said that they would go to take
off
>my status of administrator because this divergences.
>
>He would like to know which was the reason of the SysOp change and if an
>administrator of Brazil in Wikipedia PT/BR would be possible. The actual
>administrators is creating a dictatorship.
>
>Tnks. sorry about my english

I desysopped Paulo after consultation with two active users on pt: JorgeGG
and Joao Miranda. Jorge came to me on IRC saying that he had given Paulo
administrator access recently, but that he was mistaken and he wanted to
reverse this error. Paulo was ignoring the existing policies of the wiki,
and refused to listen to the other administrators when confronted. Armed
with my trusty machine translator, I checked out the debate, and found that
Joao Miranda had also attempted to set Paulo straight on wiki policy. I
asked Joao if he agreed with JorgeGG on desysopping. He said (on my user
talk page):

"I don't know. It has been difficult to make PauloColacino follow the rules
established by the community. We had some problems with him because of some
page deletions and copyright violations. But I don't like the idea of
removing his access to administrative powers because that could make him
radicalise his positions. I'm in favour of removing his administrative
access if he abuses his administrative powers again. pt:Usuário:JoaoMiranda
"

Two days later, JorgeGG contacted me again, saying that Paulo's behaviour
had worsened. He said that he was sure Joao would now change his mind, and
that he was happy to wait until that happened before I performed the
desysopping. Sure enough, within hours I received this from Joao:

"It's me again. I lost any hope that PauloColacino will ever change his
attitude. Today he is using every pretext he can find to start conflicts
with me and pt:Usuário:Jorge and abused his powers by blocking some pages
(he thinks he can block pages from other administrators). So I have to ask
you to remove administrator access from PauloColacino.
pt:Usuário:JoaoMiranda "

In response, I desysopped Paulo.

I didn't hold a vote for two reasons. Firstly, it's a small wiki with only a
few active users. Secondly, I sympathised with JorgeGG's desire to be able
to correct his own mistakes. A sysop should have the trust of the large
majority of the community. I was confident that if these two active users
felt that Paulo shouldn't be a sysop -- indeed, the only two users who had
commented on Paulo's behaviour -- then he shouldn't be a sysop.

-- Tim Starling