[Wikipedia-l] Re: Please clarify the honorary administrator status

Guillaume Blanchard gblanchard at arcsy.co.jp
Thu Apr 1 01:54:58 UTC 2004

As I understood the Tim long term view, only the way "powers" (I prefer
"features") is dispense may be customizable. * In all case, decision must be
taken by community consensus.*
As an example, I think (it's just my point of view) that create a complex
hierarchy into a community is a real bad idea. For me, we only need 3 types
of users:
- Normal users
- Administrators "users who have access to administration tools and must
apply community decision"
- Arbitrator "users who was elected by community to resolve conflict"
That mean, in my point of view, that all administrators may have access to
all administration features (remove administrator flag as well). If we have
an easy to see log of all administrators actions (block, ban, give/remove
status, etc.) it may be easy to detect any abuse and take proportional
sanction. Sure it's just a point of view, but I don't see why this system
may have more chance to lead to dictatorship than actual English Wikipedia
system. Contrariwise, I think hierarchize the administration is something
like a defeat avowal. Instead of force administrators to respect rules, you
create new level to oversee them. The only judge we must have is the
community.
Tim explained me (as I understood) that English Wikipedia had a different
view of governance and prefer give different administration "powers"
according to the level of trust the user have. Why not. But why it must be
*the* governance type all Wikipedia must adopt? If you are afraid with this
local governance (and you are not wrong) we can make rules that local
governance system must be first approved by Jimbo or the community (for
example, by a vote on meta).

By the way, I think we must never give a specific "power" to less than 3
people.

Aoineko