[Wikipedia-l] Please change the embarrassing donations message

James Duffy jtdire at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 23:38:00 UTC 2003

> >"We are trying to make
> > Wikipedia faster and more responsive. You can help by making a
>donation."
> > I hope this satisfies your concerns.

Please please reword the donation line on the pages. It is disastrous in
terms of PR. We know we have a problem on wiki right now, but the current
wording highlights the flaws in a way that is never done in PR. Rule number
1: NEVER EVER EVER draw attention to your failings.

At present what it is implies is ''wiki has a problem. Wiki isn't working
right. We need money to fix it. If we don't get it, it isn't going to work
right.

It implies
1. That wiki is flawed;
2. We are /trying/ to fix it, but trying doesn't mean we will succeed.
3. That wiki is in so much difficulty it has to beg for money to make itself
usable.

PR people would hang themselves in shame if they were responsible for
sending out such a message.

The message should be spun positively, not negatively. What it should say
is,

Wiki's phenomenal growth requires constant upgrading of technology to give
you the best service possible. Giving that service requires funding. You now
can donate money to help your wikipedia remain the fastest growing
encyclopædia on the internet. For more information, see [[Wikipedia
donations]].

That wording, trimmed down and tightened as necessary, sends a different
message to our current message.

1. Wiki is a phenomenal success;
2. We need funds to continue that success;
3. You can help /your/ wiki stay ahead of the rest.

It is positive, not negative, motivational not begging. It tells people
'join in our success', not 'we are trying to fix our problems but badly need
money'.

Please change the current cringe-enducing message.

JT