[Wikipedia-l] Transwiki

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 19 09:52:54 UTC 2003

Peter Gervai wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:57:10AM -0800, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>  1. dictionary type entries; (They belong in Wiktionary)
>>
>Do we have wiktionary in foreign languages? What should foreigners (to
>english) do with dictionary entries now?

Although some of us would like to encourage other-language Wiktionaries,
so far only the English version exists.  If you have somebody who likes
writing up dictionary articles in Hungarian, maybe you can convince him
to start a Hungarian Wiktionary. :-)   That being said, if someone wants
to write up English definitions for Hungarian words that would go on the
English Wiktionary.  Wiktionary is in utf-8 so it can handle fully
accented Hungarian.

>>  3. entire quoted books; (They belong in Wikibooks)
>>

>A user started to enter his own fictions and writings in the .hu.wikipedia.
>Right now I can only send him to... anywhere else, and delete the
>"articles". Do they belong to Wikibooks? Essays, novels, any kind of
>"fictional facts" and other nonsense?

My opinion is that works of original fiction don't belong in any of
these, but if the Hungarian Wikipedians decide a different policy that's
their choice, You're not going to get a lot of objections from those of
us who don't understand a word of Hungarian

>>Since this idea can be applied to transfers between any two projects, I
>>

>Do you mean all the article history should be transferred, or just the text
>put on hold in the namespace?

Copying the talk pages would be a good idea, and the history may be
helpful for understanding what the author was thinking about.  There is
a potential history problem if we don't have uniform registration across
all projects.  Also the Transwiki pages would all be temporary pages ,
so their history would disappear when the work is done.

Ec