[Wikipedia-l] Switching everything to UTF-8

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 03:15:23 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote:
>I know very well that if we switch to utf-8 on all
>wikipedias without a technical tweak to automatically
>insure "translation", the user of this browser,
>perhaps just a mother at home with a 4 years old imac,
>perhaps a student in Algeria, perhaps a kid in Brasil,
>will just be kicked out.

Exactly! We should be as inclusive as practically possible. If that means that
we have to be just 'good enough' in our technical capabilities and forgo
being 'great', then so be it. This is why wikitext works great for our goals
(creating content) while HTML does not, even though much more can technically
be done with HTML. But if we can be both inclusive /and/ be technically
'great', then all the better!

Hm - that reminds of wikitables and wikitemplates. Whatever happened to those
ideas?

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)