[Wikipedia-l] UTF-8 - idea (maybe stupid, from a non-tech dreamer :-)

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 12:25:02 UTC 2003

>From: Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com>

>Mav, do you have a constructive suggestion for
improving >compatibility
>with older browsers? If so, please post it on
>wikitech-l, where we're
>discussing the issue. We already know you don't like
the >idea of
>breaking older browsers.

He does not like because that is unnice to newbies,
and that generates bad vibes between oldbies (does
that exist ?) as well.

I am glad I do not break pages any more, either
because of utf (Opera), or because of the cut at 30 ko
(Opera), or by the freezing editing window (IE) or by
the random spaces additions in words (Netscape 4). I
still mess with html though :-)

An idea (perhaps totally stupid), would it be possible
that *some* pages are in utf, while most are not.
So, the pages that could benefit utf (such as the list
or arabic terms or such) are in utf, perhaps with a
box to check when saving. and the others are left as
is. Vincent et al could work nicely, most readers
would perhaps see more things, but the pages where
problems would occur would be limited ?

Is that possible ?